Keep Mum’s favourite herbs within reach while cooking with this easy DIY herb garden project.
What you’ll need:
- 1 x bag of premium potting mix
- 1 x garden planter (Check out Bunnings selection of cost-effective planters).
- 1 x garden trowel
- 1 x gardening gloves
- 1 x watering can
- 1 x 4 pack of chalkboard signs on stakes (Check out the party section of discount stores)
- 1 x pack of white chalk
- A selection of Mum’s favourite herbs.
- Set out all of your equipment, soil and herb plants outside (ideally on grass).
- Spread a small, level layer of premium garden soil across the bottom of the garden planter.
- Dig 3 – 4 shallow holes in the potting mix using the garden trowel.
- Gently remove the herb plant from its plastic pot by squeezing the pot while lifting the plant out.
- Place the herb plant into the pre-dug hole.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until all herb plants are placed in the planter with some room for future growth.
- Shovel in additional potting mix around the root balls of each herb plant until level with the start of the stem base of each plant. Pack in soil until each plant is secure in the planter.
- Generously water the herbs with a watering can.
- Write out each of the herb names in chalk on the chalkboard signs.
- Stake each chalkboard sign into the planter in front of each corresponding herb plant.