A family favourite, Date & Walnut Loaf is the ultimate Winter treat served warm with a generous layer of butter and a hot cuppa.
Today I share a family secret, my Mum’s Date & Walnut Loaf recipe.
- Shelby – Marketing Manager.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 140g chopped walnuts
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan forced)
- Line a loaf tin with butter and baking paper,
- Cream together butter and brown sugar, then add egg.
- Over a medium heat, mix together chopped dates and bicarbonate of soda dissolved in boiling water until thick in a small saucepan.
- Beat mixture together and add chopped walnuts.
- Combine with butter mixture, along with sifted plain flour and baking powder.
- Bake in a loaf tin in a moderate oven (180 degrees Celsius, 160 degrees Celsius fan forced), for approximately 1 hour.
- Slice while still warm and spread with chilled butter to serve.