A classic, fairy cakes with buttercream and strawberry jam are a hit with the whole family. Bake up fairy cakes and host a high tea at home!
- 125g salted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 150g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius or 180 degrees Celsius (fan-forced ovens). Line a 12-hole muffin tray with 9 cupcake cases.
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating between each addition. If the mixture splits, add a tablespoon of flour and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and using a large metal spoon, then gently fold the flour until well combined. Stir in the vanilla essence and milk. The mixture should easily drop off a spoon.
- Spoon into the cases and cook for 18 – 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- To make the buttercream icing, put the butter in a large bowl and beat until creamy. Sift in the icing sugar and whisk until well combined. Add the vanilla extract. If the mixture is too stuff, add a little milk.
- Cut the top off each cake and then cut the slices in half. Cover each cake with the butter icing. Put a little strawberry jam on top of each cake and push the 2 half slices into the buttercream at an angle to make a pair of wings.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.